Board of Directors Meeting
American Contract Bridge League
November 14, 2007
Call to Order: The meeting was called to order by president
Ken Llacera at at
Present: Jeanne Boss, Nancy Driscoll, John Hadley, Lois Henry, Ken Llacera, Carol Maggipinto, Charlie Pender, Mary Peterson, Harold Rogers, Don Seldeen, Bonnie Simon, Dick Wasserstrom, & Nancy Wainer. Absent: Elena Laborde-Bishop, Joyce Martin, Diana Schilling and Barbara Shepardson
Approval of Minutes: Minutes of the
2008 Unit Election Results: Ken greeted the new members and thanked them for agreeing to be on the Board and also thanked the continuing and retiring members for their participation. The results of the election will be announced to the membership at the Unit game in December at a meeting between the games.
Carol Maggipinto nominated Mary Peterson for president of the Board for the upcoming term, seconded by Charlie Pender. Approval by show of hands was unanimous.
Ken asked the continuing and retiring Board members to send him their thoughts on the Board’s most important accomplishments of the past year.
SCBC Volunteer Day and NABC: Don Seldeen reported that there are eight volunteers and Kathy from ACBL will contact each person as to scheduling the time and place of their assignment.
Treasurer’s Report: Lois Henry presented the following reports on
the budget through
Lois Henry will continue as treasurer in 2008. Ken Llacera will assist Lois in setting up the 2008 budget.
IRS reporting form 990-EZ: Lois and Ken will review the format and if a CPA is not necessary, Lois will take care of it.
Forum Editor: No action
Club Owners’ Meeting Report: Nancy Wainer reported as follows:
1. Propose a meeting between the Club Owners (Nancy Wainer, Bill McIntosh, Mark Hasey and Sherry Gilbreath) and the new Board to come up with some ideas for marketing the games, particularly the night games which are “dying”.
2. Consider having a 99’r section at all Unit games.
3. Nancy Wainer and Nancy Driscoll are working on a schedule for next year that may have Bridge Camp once a month and regular 99’r games on the other three weeks.
4. The Club Owners would like to discuss a revised Expense Sharing Agreement.
Surf’s Up Sectional : Dick Wasserstrom reported that the Surf’s Up Sectional had an increase in the number of tables (122 vs 115) from previous years, and, although there was a net loss financially, it was less than it had been in previous years. He suggested that we consider raising the price of the lunch, $2.00 being a little low for what is being provided. He also said that the sectional directors recommended that we change the brackets for the Sunday Swiss Teams to 0-700 and 701+, and that games start at on both days. The Board thanked Dick for his work on the sectional and Barbara Shepardson for her work on handling hospitality.
Facilities: Charlie Pender reported on the following maintenance issues:
1. Grease trap closure – problem fixed by John Hadley
2. New location for garbage cans and screening – Jack Simon and Jerry Goodell are working on this. It is in process.
3. Uneven paving – Ken is working with the paving company
Membership: Mary Peterson reported that plaques have been ordered for the Dolores Abrams game winners. She requested a “welcome” letter from the president to new member Anne Marie Mohler.
Web: No action
99’r Game Update: Nancy Driscoll reported that they are plugging along and things are going well.
Newsletter: Jonni Faircrest will be the new publisher of the quarterly newsletter.
Maintenance Items: Charlie Pender reported as follows:
1. Sunscreen for the skylight is in process
2. Cigarette disposal – still looking for reasonably priced solution
3. Roof leak – Ken is working with a roofer to find the source of the leak
4. Front door light – in process
5. First restroom cabinet door – Charlie will try to repair the door on this cabinet which was removed from the first restroom and is now stored in the kitchen
6. Low flow toilets – a project for the future
Expense Sharing Agreement: Possible revisions to the Expense Sharing Agreement between SCBC and the Club Owners will be addressed by the incoming Board.
Dolores Abrams Game Qualifications: Mary Peterson has proposed language on the game qualifications to be distributed to the Board for review and comment at the next meeting.
At this point Ken Llacera turned the meeting over to incoming president Mary Peterson who welcomed and congratulated the new Board members.
It was agreed that the Board will continue to meet monthly on specified Wednesdays following the morning game (@ ). A calendar has been distributed to the Board and will be posted.
Next Board Meeting:
1. Wednesday, December 5, 2007, 3:30 pm an orientation and organizational meeting for new and continuing Board members to review the Board of Directors Committee and Support Functions draft. Please read the handout in advance and be prepared to discuss these functions, and please bring your personal calendar.
Meeting adjourned at .